- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet sausage with fennel
- 1 small bulb fennel, trimmed, core removed and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper
- A few leaves sage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 28-ounce can whole, peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Acacia honey
- A few grates nutmeg, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat with olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add sausage and brown and crumble; add fennel, onions and garlic. Season with salt, pepper and sage, and stir to combine. Partially cover the pot and cook to soften vegetables, 7-8 minutes. Deglaze the pot with wine, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add tomatoes, breaking them up then reduce heat and simmer to thicken, about 20 minutes.
Bring water and milk to a simmer and whisk in polenta. Once it starts to come together, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Once thickened, remove from heat and stir in butter, honey and cheese.
Ladle polenta into shallow bowls, make a well in the center and top with sausage ragu.
Ground Turkey Ragu with Tagliatelle
Sicilian Eggplant and Pepper Ragu and Pappardelle
Chicken and Mushrooms with Taleggio Polenta
Bacon and Eggs Go Deep: Smoky Mushroom Ragu with Fried Eggs and Polenta