- 1 pound whole-wheat elbow pasta
- 4 cups cheese sauce
- 1 roasted red pepper from a jar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 4-ounce jar pimento peppers, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 cups whole wheat pita chips, crushed
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Chives, for garnish
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt water liberally and cook the pasta 2 minutes shy of al dente; drain and return it to the pot. It's ok if the pasta is a little undercooked as it will continue to cook while it bakes.
Pour the cheese sauce into a blender and add roasted red pepper, paprika, cayenne and garlic powder. Blend until smooth. Add cheese sauce, chopped pimento peppers and scallions to the pot with the pasta and toss to coat. Pour into a large casserole dish and top with crushed pita chips and parmesan cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the mac 'n' cheese is brown and bubbly. Garnish with chives to serve.