- 1 pound dry beans (such as pinto, navy, black-eyed pea or limas)
- 2 whole carrots, peeled
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 smoked serrano chile peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Garnish: Diced raw onions, chow-chow
Rinse, drain and pick through the beans to check for stones or debris. Soak overnight covered with 8 cups of water.
Drain, rinse and place beans in a large soup pot. Cover with 8 cups of fresh water. Add the carrots, onion, celery, bay leaves, garlic and serrano chile peppers. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until thickened and creamy. Do not allow to boil.
Stir in the olive oil, cumin, cayenne and salt and pepper. Serve topped with diced raw onion, chow chow and cornbread