- 4 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 3 cups diced green tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups diced bell peppers, preferably a mix of colors
- 2 1/2 cups diced white onions
- 1/2 cup minced jalapeño chiles
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
In a large bowl, toss the cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, onions, chiles and salt well with your hands. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to overnight. Drain in a colander, rinse, and drain again.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, stir together the vinegar, water, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and turmeric until the sugar dissolves. You can let the mixture sit as long as the vegetables do.
When the veg mix is ready, bring the vinegar to a boil. Add the vegetables, return to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer for 5 minutes—you want to keep the crunch. Ladle the mixture into sterilized canning jars and jar properly or refrigerate for up to 3 months. You can serve it after a day or two.