- 1/2 loaf filone/Italian bread (approximately 10 cups), diced
- 1 pound pancetta, diced
- A few drizzles extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup butter (unsalted)
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups dried porcini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spread the bread cubes out on a baking sheet and dry them out in the oven for 15 minutes. Transfer bread cubes to a large mixing bowl.
Cook pancetta over medium heat until rendered about 10 minutes then transfer to the bowl with the bread. Add a drizzle or two of olive oil to the drippings along with the onions, celery, carrots and sliced garlic. Cook until soft about 10 minutes. Add the butter and melt. Mix in the chopped herbs and transfer everything to the bowl with the bread.
In a large pot, bring chicken stock to boil over high heat. Add dried mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes over low heat. Once they’re rehydrated, strain liquid into a bowl. Roughly chopped the mushrooms and add to the sauté pan. Sauté with button mushrooms for about 3-4 minutes.
Use a large spoon to thoroughly mix together all the ingredients. Transfer the stuffing mixture into a lightly buttered roasting pan. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, and serve warm.