- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 stalks celery, chopped (about 2 cups) plus the leafy tops, reserved
- 2 onions, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 leaves sage, chopped
- A few springs thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- A handful parsley, chopped
- 1 cup pitted dates, sliced into rings
- 1 12-ounce box gluten-free oat cereal (such as Cheerios)
- 2 1/2 cups turkey or chicken stock
Preheat an oven to 375°F. Butter a 13x9-inch casserole dish and set aside.
Heat a 12-inch, nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the sausage, breaking it up with a kitchen spoon as it cooks. Once the sausage fat starts to render out and the sausage is completely cooked, about 12 minutes. Remove the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Place the empty pan back over the heat.
Turn the heat up to medium-high and add 4 tablespoons of butter. Once melted, add the celery and onion. Cook until softened and then add the poultry seasoning, salt, sage and thyme. Cook for another minute more before adding in the wine. Once the wine has cooked out for a couple minutes, add the parsley, chopped celery leaves and the dates. Stir just to combine.
Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl and add the sausage and the oat cereal. Add the stock and toss the coat. Pour the mixture into the buttered casserole dish and top with dots of butter, Place into the oven and cook for 35 minutes.
Grant’s Gluten-Free Apple Pie
Gluten-Free Corny Fusilli
7 Divine Stuffing (or Dressing) Recipes You Have to Check Out This Thanksgiving