This saucy salsa is based on Alex Stupak’s amazing smoked cashew salsa. I make these with store-bought crispy tostadas (at $2.00 a bag). If your market doesn’t carry them,. Salt and let cool.
- 1 cup toasted cashews
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce, Buffalo Tabasco or Red Hot
- 1 red finger chili pepper or red jalapeño pepper
- 1 lime
- 3 limes, 1 halved and 1 cut in wedges
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced by hand or on a mandoline
- 1 pound chicken cutlets
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon chile powder, a blend or all Chile de Arbol, preferred brand Gebhardt’s
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 8 store-bought crispy tostatadas or corn tortillas, sprayed lightly with oil and baked until golden and crisp
- Shredded iceberg lettuce or red cabbage
- Cilantro leaves
For the salsa, toast nuts and let cool. Process with remaining salsa ingredients and add water if necessary to make it thin enough to drizzle over the tostadas.
Juice one lime half into a small bowl and toss with red onions, salt and pepper.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Combine cumin, coriander, chile powder, ginger and garlic with half the olive oil and slather onto both sides of the chicken. Heat a cast-iron skillet, griddle or other large pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil and cook chicken 3-4 minutes on each side; douse with juice of remaining lime half. Transfer to a board and thinly slice.
While chicken cooks, in another pan over high heat toss up the peppers and onions to tender-crisp in remaining tablespoon or two of oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Pile chicken some cashew sauce/salsa, peppers and onions, lettuce or cabbage, cilantro pickled onions on the crispy tostadas and serve.
Chinese Orange-Barbecue Cashew Chicken
Ultimate Tostada Bar: Flank Steak Chili with Chorizo and Black Beans