- 1 small jicama, peeled and julienned (about 2 cups)
- 1 chayote, peeled, seeded and julienned (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced orange bell pepper
- 2 thinly sliced jalapeños, with seeds
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, homemade or store-bought
- 1/4 cup buttermilk*
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise, homemade, or store-bought
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced dill pickle
- 1 tablespoon minced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- For the sandwiches: 8 slices rye bread
- 8 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
- 12 ounces sliced roasted turkey breast
- 1 cup Jicama Coleslaw
*If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make your own by adding 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar to 1 cup whole milk. Stir to blend and set aside until thickened and creamy, usually about 5 minutes; then use as needed.
For the Jicama Slaw, in a medium bowl, combine the jicama, chayote, red onion, bell pepper, jalapeños, mayonnaise, buttermilk, lime juice, Dijon mustard, salt, sugar and cayenne. Mix well and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary just before serving.
Position an oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 350°F.
Arrange the bread in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread 2 tablespoons of the Russian dressing on each of 4 bread slices. For each sandwich, layer 2 slices of the cheese on top of the dressing, then layer 3 slices of the turkey on top of the cheese. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and cook until the bread is slightly toasted, the turkey is warmed, and the cheese is completely melted, about 6 minutes.
Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the sandwiches and the toast to a work surface. Divide the slaw evenly among the turkey-topped slices, and then top with the remaining toast. Serve immediately.
Pilgrim Monte Cristo Sandwiches
Reuben or Rachel Patty Melts
Sourdough Patty Melt Reubens