- 6 to 8 cups rye bread, cut into cubes
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 2 cups celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, stemmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, stemmed and chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups low-sodium turkey or chicken stock
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Spread the cubed bread on 2 baking sheets and place in the oven for 7-8 minutes, or until toasted on one side. Toss the bread cubes around and toast an additional 5-6 minutes, or until bread cubes are dried out lightly brown on all sides. Remove from oven and reserve.
In a large, high sided skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium high heat. Add celery, onion, carrot, thyme, sage, rosemary and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add toasted rye bread cubes and stock, and toss well to combine.
Butter the inside of a casserole dish then pour in the stuffing mixture. Dot the top of the stuffing with remaining butter cut in half-inch pieces. (If making ahead, cover with plastic wrap at this point and store in the fridge then bring to room temperature before baking.)
Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes, or until crispy and brown on top.