- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Salt and pepper
- About 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- About 3 tablespoons milk
- About 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- About 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- About 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Safflower or other frying oil (enough to go about 1/8 inch up the sides of a large frying pan)
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 to 4 red and green frying or small bell peppers, seeded, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced by hand or on a mandolin (reserve a handful of the fronds to garnish)
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock
- A handful chopped parsley, to garnish
- Lemon wedges, to serve
Butterfly the chicken breasts by slicing each piece horizontally with sharp knife; pound under plastic to 1/8-inch thick. Season with salt and pepper. Set up a dredging station: In three separate shallow dishes place the flour seasoned with salt and pepper, eggs beaten with milk and seasoned with salt and pepper, and the breadcrumbs mixed with cheese and seasoned with nutmeg and salt.
Warm oil over medium to medium-high heat. Fry 2 cutlets at a time for 3 minutes on each side, or to deep golden. Keep warm in a low oven on a wire rack-lined baking sheet.
Heat a second large skillet over medium to medium-high heat with EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. Add peppers, fennel, onions, garlic, some salt and the chili flakes, and toss 6-8 minutes until the veggies are tender but still have a bite left. Add wine or stock, fronds and parsley.
To serve, make a bed of peppers, fennel and onions on dinner plates then top with crispy cutlets and serve lemon wedges alongside.