Rach takes the easiest pizza dough ever and turns out a cast-iron pan pizza filled with cheese, tangy tomatoes and spinach.
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon instant/pizza dough yeast
- ¾ cup warm water
- 4 tablespoons good extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- One 16-ounce bag frozen spinach, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup freshly shredded pepper Jack, Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, 4 ounce brick
- 2 cups mozzarella, freshly shredded, 8 ounce brick
- ¾-1 cup semi-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped (or sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and coarsely chopped, or soaked sundried tomatoes, sliced)
- 1 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Sliced hot or sweet Italian red cherry pepper rings
For the dough, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and yeast to combine. Stir in warm water, add EVOO, and use hands to combine in bowl to form dough. Transfer dough to an olive oil-greased pie plate, cover, and refrigerate 24 hours.
Take dough out 2 hours before baking and, after about 30 minutes, press dough into a heavily greased 12-inch cast-iron skillet up sides of pan. Cover until ready to bake.
For the pizza, wring all the excess liquids out of chopped defrosted frozen spinach. You'll have about ¾ cup.
Heat a small pan with EVOO over medium heat, add garlic and swirl 1 minute, add spinach and season with salt and pepper, combine and remove from heat.
To dough in skillet, make a ring around the edge and up the side of the pan with the Pepper Jack, Jack or cheddar cheese.
Preheat oven to 450˚F with rack at center or 425˚F convection oven.
Add the spinach to the dough from center out to rim of cheese. Add half the mozzarella and add the tomatoes in even distribution, add remaining mozzarella cheese and sprinkle the pecorino over the entire pie. Season with red pepper flakes and oregano, then arrange the hot or sweet pickled cherry pepper rings around the pie.
Bake pizza 16-20 minutes to brown and crispy. Let stand on rack or stove to cool 5 minutes, loosen the edges with a butter knife and check the bottom. If undercooked, crisp over medium heat on the stove.