Roast Veal with Fennel, Shallots, Potatoes and Plum-Cranberry Ch…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne Talks Season 2 + Rach's Maple Pork Chop…
How To Make Bacon-Cheddar Burgers with Dijon-Horseradish Sauce |…
The Covid Vaccines Explained | Physician + "Doctors" Host Dr. Ia…
Is The Covid Vaccine Safe? Dr. Ian On Why It's Worth The (Very S…
Soon-To-Be Mom of 6 On Relationship With Her Oldest Child: "I ca…
When Can You Get The Covid Vaccine? A Doctor Breaks Down Current…
Why You Should Still Get The Vaccine If You've Already Had Covid…
Chef Curtis Stone's Fried Chicken + Rachael's Chicken With Pears…
Sterling K. Brown On Filming Latest Season Of This Is Us + Rach'…
Rach's Bacon & Cheddar Burgers with Dijon-Horseradish Sauce + Al…
- 1 4-pound, boneless veal shoulder or leg, tied
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for liberal drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) fennel seed
- 12 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 3 fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut into eighths
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes, halved
- 2 bulbs garlic, halved
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
For the Plum-Cranberry Chutney
- 1 1/2 pounds Italian plums or other plums of choice, pitted and sliced into 1-inch wedges or cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons each cumin, caraway and mustard seed, toasted and ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 large shallots or 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 inches ginger root, peeled and grated
Preheat oven to 375°F. Bring veal to room temperature.
Slather roast with EVOO and rub with kosher salt, coarse black pepper, rosemary, thyme and fennel seed.
Place shallots, fennel and potatoes in a roasting pan and coat with EVOO, salt and pepper. Set roast on top of potatoes and fennel and roast about 1 hour and 50 minutes to 2 hours, until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F.
For the chutney, place all ingredients in small pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat a bit and cook 20 minutes or so to thicken and cranberries have popped.
Transfer roast to carving board and trim strings; let rest 20 minutes. Arrange fennel and potatoes on a platter and cover to keep warm. Place roasting pan with drippings on the stove and whisk in wine. Reduce liquid by half then add stock and butter, and cook a few minutes to thicken a bit. Transfer to gravy/sauce boat.
Arrange slices of veal on top of the fennel and potatoes, and serve with gravy and chutney alongside.
Pork or Veal Chops with Sage and Gnocchi with Gorgonzola and Walnuts
Veal Chops Valdostana with Oven Frites and Haricots Verts
Garlicky Roast Pork Loin with Herb Sauce