- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 scallions, white parts chopped, green parts chopped and reserved for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups roasted butternut squash
- 4 pickled jalapeño slices plus 2 tablespoons of the pickling liquid
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 bags sweet potato chips or sweet potato tortilla chips
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Cilantro, pickled jalapenos and sliced radishes
For the Squacho Cheese Sauce, melt butter in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the white parts of the scallions and the garlic, and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the flour and stir for a minute or two. Using a whisk, slowly mix the milk into the flour mixture until combined. Transfer to a blender and add cheese, butternut squash and pickled jalapeños and juice. Blend until smooth. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, smoked paprika and chili powder and blend again to combine. Pour back into the pan and keep warm over a low heat.
Preheat oven to broil.
Arrange the sweet potato chips on a cookie sheet and top with the cheddar cheese and sausage. Place into the oven just to melt the cheese. Remove and top with some “sqaucho cheese” (reserve a little to serve on the side). Garnish with cilantro, pickled jalapeños, sliced radishes and reserved chopped scallion greens.
Grant’s Three-Cheese Chipotle Chicken Nachos
11 of Rachael's Best Nacho Recipes of All Time
Pulled Chicken and Black Bean Nacho Casserole