Old-School Italian-American Eggplant Parm
We Surprise The Adorable Couple Behind The Secret @MealsSheEats …
How To Make John's Blackberry-Ginger "House Call Mocktail | John…
What Happens In Your Body When You Eat Whole vs Refined Grains |…
How To Make Pho | Rachael Ray
How To Make Honey Soy Glazed Salmon | Dr. Ian Smith
Deals From Rue La La: Genuine Soft Leather Jackets, Healthy Pres…
Cake Boss Buddy Valastro's Fun Cake Decorating Ideas For Spring
Former Rachael Ray Mag Editor Wrote 365 Thank You Letters In One…
How To Make Meatball Patty Melt Pizzas | Rachael Ray
Buddy Valastro Tells Rach He's at "About 75%" Strength in His Ha…
Buddy Valastro Surprises His Biggest Fan AGAIN—9 Years After Emo…
Jane Lynch Talks Hosting "The Weakest Link" Reboot + Rach Makes …
Tiny Home Tour: 28-Yr-Old Man Moves Into Renovated School Bus Af…
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Paillard With Slaw, Blue Cheese + Sc…
How To Make Instant Pot Cream of Cauliflower Soup | Healthy Inst…
Rach's General Tso's Chicken + Jeff Mauro's Charred Carne Asada …
Rach Makes Pho + Dr. Ian Smith's Honey Soy-Glazed Salmon
Cake Boss Buddy Valastro Surprises Longtime Fan + Rach's Meatbal…
Healthy Instant Pot Cream of Cauliflower + Rach's Quick Buffalo …
Guy Fieri Is Hosting a Covid Restaurant Relief Auction + REALLY …
- 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon (about 1/3 palmful) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon (about 1/3 palmful) chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 quart passata or tomato purée
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes
- A handful fresh basil leaves, torn plus a fat handful for garnishing prepared cutlets
- 2 large, firm eggplant, trim sides from top and bottom then slice into long thin planks 1/4-to 1/2-inch thick
- About 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 4 ounces) plus some for topping completed cutlets and sauce
- A small handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (a scant palmful) granulated garlic,
- 1 tablespoon (a scant palmful) granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon (a scant palmful) of dried oregano, 1 tablespoon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (half a palmful) chili flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (half a palmful) fennel pollen, optional
- Safflower and/or olive oil, for frying
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
Salt eggplant planks and drain 30 minutes on kitchen towels.
Heat a Dutch oven or saucepot over medium heat with EVOO, 3 turns of the pan. Add onions and garlic, season with salt and cook 5-6 minutes to sweeten and soften. Add tomato paste, oregano and chili flakes to the onions and garlic, stir to combine, then add wine and stir another minute. Add passata and whole tomatoes, break them up and stir in basil. Simmer sauce 20-30 minutes.
Set up breading station with three dishes: in one, place the flour seasoned with salt and pepper, in the second, beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper and in the last, mix the breadcrumbs with grated cheese, parsley, garlic, onion, oregano, chili flakes, fennel pollen, if using.
Place a very large skillet on the stove and pour in 1/4 inch of oil; preheat over medium to medium-high heat. Set a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet and place it next to the frying pan.
Bread 3 to 4 planks of eggplant at a time first in flour, shaking off excess, then the eggs, draining off any excess and lastly in the breadcrumbs, pressing the coating onto planks.
Fry eggplant in batches until deep golden and crisp; drain on wire rack.
Preheat broiler to high.
Build eggplant parm on a broiler-proof pan or baking sheet and transfer to dinner platters or use a broiler-proof sizzler pan.
Shingle 2 to 3 planks of eggplant cutlets on the pan and top with marinara, sliced mozzarella and a sprinkle of parm. Broil to brown and bubble the cheese, top with extra torn basil and serve.
Florentine-Style Baked Eggplant 'Parm'
Eggplant Steaks alla Norma