“If you like spinach artichoke dip, you’ll love this healthy soup. It has all the flavor and a fraction of the fat and calories. It gets its thick, creamy consistency form either potato or white beans. Serve with charred split ciabatta bread or rolls rubbed with garlic and drizzled with EVOO and topped with flaky sea salt.”
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large Russet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice or 1 can cannellini beans, drained
- Salt and pepper
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cups defrosted artichoke hearts or bottoms, chopped
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 pound spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Shaved Parm cheese, for topping (omit cheese for vegan)
Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat with EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. Add onions, garlic, potato or beans, salt, pepper, lemon zest and artichokes. Partially cover and cook until onions and potatoes are tender, 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add stock and bring soup to a boil. Using an immersion blender, purée soup until smooth—add a little water if soup is too thick. Wilt in spinach, add the lemon juice and adjust seasoning.
Serve in shallow bowls garnished with cheese and bread for dipping.
Spinach, Artichoke and Chicken Penne
Spinach & Artichoke Burgers With Tarragon Special Sauce