- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 10 ounces minced beef
- 2 onions
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 3 ounces smoked bacon lardons
- 3 ounces chorizo, cut into small pieces
- 13 ounces canned cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 250 ml water (or use half red wine and half water)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, grated
- 1 400-gram tin kidney beans
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place a casserole dish or Dutch oven over medium heat. Pour in one tablespoon of canola oil, and stir in the minced beef; cook until browned. Remove the browned minced beef to a plate.
Pour the other tablespoon of canola oil in the pan and stir in the onions, fresh ginger and garlic. Cook for two minutes, then stir in the ground cumin, cinnamon and chili flakes, and cook for another minute. Next stir in the pancetta and chorizo, and cook while stirring for 3 minutes.
Return the browned minced beef to the dish and stir well. Pour in the canned tomatoes, cider vinegar, water, brown sugar, dried oregano and ketchup. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper; stir well. Cover and cook for 90 minutes on a low heat.
Remove the lid and stir in the grated chocolate and kidney beans. Leave to simmer for another 20 minutes and then serve.
Turkey and Roast Poblano Chili
Triple Pepper Beef & Beer Chili
Ditch the Cleanup with These 10 One-Pan Dinners