- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large (4-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and crushed
- 5 ounces chorizo, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 red pepper, cored and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, cored and sliced
- 20-ounce butternut squash, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 13 ounces canned cherry tomatoes
- 15 ounces chicken broth
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place a casserole dish or Dutch oven over a medium heat. Pour in one tablespoon of canola oil. Once hot, sear each side of the chicken pieces until golden brown then remove to a plate.
Pour the other tablespoon of canola oil in the pan and stir in the onions, fresh ginger and garlic. Cook for two minutes then stir in the chorizo, cinnamon, peppers and butternut squash. Cook while stirring for 3 minutes.
Return the chicken pieces to the dish and stir well. Pour in the tomatoes and chicken broth. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and stir well. Cover and cook for 90 minutes over low heat.
**To make this in a slow cooker, brown the chicken and peppers, and place into the crock of a slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6.
Ditch the Cleanup with These 10 One-Pan Dinners
Wine Can Chicken