- 12 slices smoky bacon
- 1 pound shaved or very thinly sliced boneless rib eye (from your butcher)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt plus about 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pimentón (smoked sweet paprika)
- 1 teaspoon each granulated garlic and granulated onion
- Olive oil, vegetable or canola oil, for drizzling
- Chipotle Tabasco or other hot sauce, to taste
- 8 slices deli-cut Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, chopped
- 2 serrano or 1 large jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small or 1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 large or 3 small ripe but still firm avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- Gem Romaine leaves
- 8 hand-cut slices white bread (I use Amy’s bread), toasted
Preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange bacon on a slotted pan or on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet. Bake to crispy, about 15 minutes.
Preheat a cast-iron griddle or skillet.
Toss shaved meat with salt, pepper, cumin, pimentón, granulated garlic and onion.
For the guac, combine the chilies and onion with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let stand a few minutes. Combine with tomatoes, avocados and lime juice. Mash to desired consistency.
Dress griddle with a drizzle of oil. Toss meat onto the griddle and cook, chopping as you would a Philly steak, for 3-4 minutes to crisp. Separate steak into 4 mounds and top each mound with some hot sauce and 2 slices of cheese.
Pile meat and melted cheese on toast and top with lettuce, 3 slices of bacon and a mound of guac. Set toast tops in place and cut in half to serve.
Beef Brutus Sandwiches (Sliced Steak and Caesar Dressing Subs)
Italian Roast Beef on Ciabatta with Ricotta and Horseradish Gremolata, Caesar Slaw with Celery
Sliced Steak Club Sub with Horseradish & Herb Sauce