- 1 cup cream
- 1/4 cup grainy Dijon
- A few grates nutmeg
- 1 egg yolk plus 4 whole eggs
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, butterflied and pounded to 1/4-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil, about 2 tablespoons
- 8 thin slices cooked mild ham, such as Prosciutto cotto or French ham
- 3/4 pound Gruyère, coarsely shredded
- 2 pats of butter
Heat a cast-iron griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat.
Simmer cream and mustard in a saucepot for 3 minutes to reduce at a low, rolling boil. Season with a bit of nutmeg. Temper egg yolk with a bit of warm cream then stir into sauce.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Grill or griddle the chicken 3-4 minutes on each side.
Top each piece of chicken with 2 slices of ham, some cream sauce and some cheese. Broil to brown and bubbly.
Cook eggs in butter over medium heat to over-easy or medium.
Top chicken with eggs and serve with a mixed frisée and gem romaine salad with vinaigrette.
Deviled Ham and Asparagus Croque Madame with Deviled Eggs
French Onion Croque Madame