- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus additional for drizzling
- 1/2 onion, cut into small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red chili peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- A few slices country or any rustic bread
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
Preheat oven at 400°F.
In a heavy, ovenproof skillet, heat olive oil and add onions; cook until lightly golden in color. Stir in garlic and chili, cook for about 2 minutes, then add the spices, bay leaf and tomato paste. Cook for another 2 minutes, then add crushed tomatoes and simmer for about minute. Stir in the crumbled feta.
Crack the eggs on top of the tomato sauce then transfer skillet to oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your preferred consistency. (I like mine runny so 15 minutes will do.)
While the eggs cook, drizzle bread with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano. Place it in the oven until toasted.
Sprinkle dill over the shakshuka then serve directly from the skillet with bread alongside for dipping.
Green Shakshuka with Avocado Topping