- 4 fresh or frozen ears of corn, husks removed
- 3 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeño or Serrano chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 large or 4 small limes)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, pushed through a press
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- A pinch chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Hot sauce (I use Crystal Hot Sauce)
To make the salad, preheat a grill on high for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-high and grill the corn with the cover closed, turning occasionally, until some kernels are black, about 12 minutes. Remove and cool corn slightly.
Using a sharp knife, cut off the kernels into a very large, deep serving bowl. (Hold the narrow end of the cob, point the other end into the bowl, and cut downward, so that flying kernels are trapped by the bowl itself.) Add the beans, bell peppers, red onion, chili pepper, cilantro, salt and pepper to the bowl and toss.
To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, lime juice, sugar, garlic, cumin, salt, chili powder and olive oil in a small bowl. Season to taste with the hot sauce.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to thoroughly coat. Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes, toss again and serve. The salad can be made a day in advance, covered, and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Grilled Chicken and Corn Salad with Chipotle Crema
South by Southwest 7-Layer Sliders
Grant's Mexican Street Corn Salad