- 1 pound pizza dough, from a pizzeria or grocery store
- Flour, for rolling out dough
- Coarsely ground cornmeal, for dusting the peel
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano tomato purée
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh mozzarella, shredded or thinly sliced
- Good quality deli-sliced pepperoni
- Button or baby bella mushrooms, sliced and browned in olive oil
- Yellow onions, sliced and sautéed in olive oil
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Fresh basil, torn
- Crushed red pepper
- Sweet Italian sausage, crumbled and cooked
- Green bell pepper, sliced and cooked until softened
For the sauce, add olive oil and garlic to a cold pan and heat over medium-high heat. When the garlic starts to sizzle, add the tomato purée, sugar and oregano. Cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper then set aside to cool. (You can make the sauce up to three days ahead of time and keep in an airtight container in the fridge.)
Preheat oven and pizza stone to 550°F.
Stretch the dough out with your hands on a lightly floured surface then use a rolling pin to form a 12-inch pie. Pinch the edges up a little bit so the sauce doesn't roll off.
Place the rolled out dough on top of a pizza peel dusted with the coarsely ground cornmeal.
Ladle about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sauce onto the pizza dough and spread it out to the edges. Top with the mozzarella and then cover half with pepperoni and the other half with the sautéed mushrooms and onions, or whatever toppings you like. (At our house, each person gets to choose the toppings for half a pie.) Or, top the whole pizza with just a little olive oil and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Carefully slip the pizza off the pizza peel and onto the preheated pizza stone. The pizza cooks quickly so remove it with the peel after about 5 minutes and place onto a cutting board. Cut into slices and serve with crushed red pepper flakes, grated cheese and fresh basil leaves alongside.