- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or regular panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 6- to 8-ounce chicken breasts, butterflied and pounded to 1/4-inch thick
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup store-bought or homemade marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 to 5 basil leaves, torn
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Set up a breading station: In a shallow dish, combine almond meal, panko, salt, pepper, Parmigiano-Reggiano and lemon zest. Whisk eggs with a few tablespoons of water in another dish and in a third, place flour, some salt and pepper.
Season each chicken breast on both sides with salt and pepper and dredge first in flour, then egg and finally in the breadcrumb mixture. Place the breaded chicken cutlets on a rack set on a baking sheet and spray both sides of the coated chicken liberally with olive oil cooking spray. Bake until crispy and cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
Remove from oven and preheat the broiler to high. Spread half the marinara sauce on top of each cutlet and top the sauce with half the shredded mozzarella. Place under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown, about 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with a bit more Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, garnish with torn basil and serve with a simple arugula salad dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper alongside.