“We all need a cheat day from time to time, right? Well, fries are my vice. My crispy, crunchy, cheese-and-onion-and-dressing-covered vice. Happy cheat day indeed!”
Scroll down below to see how this recipe was made on Facebook Live!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium to large white onions, finely diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 16 ounce size bag frozen shoestrings fries, baked or fried to golden brown
- 6 slices American or Cheddar cheese, from the deli
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons dill relish
- 2 teaspoons apple cider or white distilled vinegar
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and stir to coat them evenly with oil; season with salt and pepper. Cook onions until caramel in color, stirring often to make sure they don’t burn, about 15-20 minutes. If at any point the onions look like they are too dry or burning, pour a splash of water in the pan and stir.
While the onions cook, place cooked fries on a small baking sheet or oven-safe platter. Top the fries with the cheese slices and place in the oven to melt the cheese, about 3-4 minutes.
In a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, relish and vinegar; season with salt and pepper.
To build the wild-style fries, top melted cheese with wild-style sauce and top sauce with caramelized onions.
Grant’s Dill 'Pickle' Fries
Mustard-Crusted Puckyhuddle Oven Fries
Shoestring Oven Fries with Balsamic Ketchup