- 4 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 extra-large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large, ripe Hass avocado, peeled, pitted and pitted
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Scant 1/4 cup of green onions, thinly sliced (green and pale green parts)
- 2 slices best quality country loaf, sliced 1/2-inch thick and lightly toasted
- Your favorite hot sauce (I use Frank’s Red Hot or Cholula)
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- Chopped cilantro leaves
For the eggs, bring water and vinegar to a simmer in a high-sided sauté pan. Break the eggs, one at a time, into a ramekin and carefully slide the egg into the simmering water; repeat with remaining eggs. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels and season with salt and pepper to taste.
While the eggs are cooking, cut the avocado halves into a small bowl, season with salt and pepper, and coarsely mash with a fork. Fold in the green onions.
Divide the avocado mixture between the two slices of toast and top each with a poached egg. Garnish with a few dashes of hot sauce and a sprinkling of lime zest and cilantro.
Learn How to Perfectly Poach an Egg in Minutes
Grant’s Ranch-Tomato Toast