- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup whole-wheat panko
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
- 1/3 cup (a handful) fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 pints yellow cherry tomatoes, halved or 5 to 6 yellow tomatoes on the vine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ears corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 lemon, zested (about 1 teaspoon) and juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup mascarpone
- 1/3 cup (a handful) fresh basil leaves, torn
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
Heat a small skillet over medium. Add the sliced almonds and cook, stirring often, until toasted, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool. Finely chop or process the nuts in a food processor.
Return the skillet to medium heat and add the butter. When the butter melts, add the panko and 2 cloves chopped garlic, Cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and mix in the almonds and herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
(If using tomatoes on the vine, prepare a large bowl of ice water. Score an X on the bottom of each tomato, add to the boiling pasta water and cook until the skin around the X begins to peel back, about 30 seconds. Transfer to the ice water; let cool about 1 minute. Pat dry, then peel and chop. Return the water to a boil.)
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high. Add the remaining 4 cloves chopped garlic and swirl a minute or two. Add the tomatoes and corn, and season. Cook, occasionally shaking the skillet, until the tomatoes break down, about 10 minutes.
Salt the boiling water, add the pasta and cook until 1 minute shy of al dente. Reserve half a mug of the starchy cooking water before draining the pasta.
Add the lemon zest and juice, the mascarpone, basil, pasta and reserved cooking water to the tomato sauce. Drizzle with EVOO and toss until combined, 1-2 minutes; season with salt to taste.
Serve the pasta in shallow bowls topped with the nutty breadcrumbs and some cheese.