- 2 pounds potatoes, small Red Bliss
- 6 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 6 cornichons, cut into 1/4-inch pieces, plus 1 tablespoon cornichon liquid
- 1/4 cup olive oil, extra-virgin
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 scallions, (green and white parts), minced
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven until tender when pierced with a knife, 30-45 minutes, depending upon their size.
In a bowl that is large enough to hold potatoes, whisk together the sherry vinegar, both mustards, the cornichons and their liquid. Whisk in olive and canola oils. Season with salt and pepper. Stir the scallions into the dressing.
Remove the potatoes from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes. Peel about half of them, if desired. (I like to leave some potato skin for flavor.) Add the potatoes to the dressing and stir to break the potatoes up a little, but do not overmix. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Excerpt from "The Home Cook: Recipes to Know by Heart" by Alex Guarnaschelli. Copyright © 2017 by Alex Guarnaschelli. Used with permission by Clarkson Potter. All rights reserved.