- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon warm water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour bread flour, or
- 1 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, blanched and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 pound baby kale, sautéed and roughly chopped
- 1 pound thin deli-sliced provolone
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 bunch basil, chopped
- Salt and crushed red pepper flakes
For the dough, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil followed by flour. Mix then add salt.
Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let proof in a warm area for 3 hours.
Cut dough into 90-gram portions and shape into balls.
Using your fingers flatten out the dough into 4.5- to 5-inch rounds.
Rub with garlic then equally distribute provolone cheese and broccoli rabe over dough, leaving a 1/4-inch around the edges. Season with salt and crushed red pepper flakes then evenly distribute chopped kale. Sprinkle with basil.
Starting at the top and bottom of the dough—the 12:00 and 6:00 positions—bring the dough to the center and hold it together. Bring the dough up from 3:00 and 9:00 positions and lightly pinch together in the center. Bring the remaining dough up and pinch it together then place the seam side down on a sheet tray.
Brush with oil and let proof for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake stromboli until golden, about 40 minutes. Let rest a few minutes before serving.