- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 chicken thighs, (8-ounce) bone-in, skin removed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 white onion, cut into 1 –inch pieces
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar, granulated
- 3 cups white rice, hot cooked
- 1/4 cup scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the chicken to the skillet, and cook until golden brown, 3-4 minutes per side. Place the chicken in a 4- to 5- quart slow cooker.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the skillet. Add the bell peppers and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add the vegetables to the slow cooker.
Whisk together the vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, cornstarch, and sugar. Pour the mixture over the chicken and vegetables in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW until the chicken is tender and cooked through, 3 hours and 30 minutes to 4 hours. Serve the chicken mixture over the hot cooked rice topped with the scallions and sesame seeds.
Excerpt from "Valerie's Home Cooking: More than 100 Delicious Recipes to Share with Friends and Family" by Valerie Bertinelli. Copyright © 2017 by Valerie Bertinelli. Used with permission by Oxmoor House. All rights reserved.