Chicken Schnitzel and Applesauce with Parsnip Cakes
We're Gearing Up For The Biggest Day In Football With Brandon Co…
Rach's Lemon Risotto + The Best Deals For Valentine's Day Gifts …
Bob Harper Joins Rach For Pasta Night + Makeover For Viewer Who …
Rob Lowe On Working With His Son on 9-1-1 Lone Star + Rach's Roa…
Rob Lowe On His "West Wing" Pride + What It's Like Working With …
How To Make Instant Pot Sausage & Shells | 20 Minute Meal | Pres…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne On His Covid Wedding: "We got married b…
What Are Rachael & John Reading Right Now? | Books To Read In 20…
How To Make Raw Mushroom & Escarole Salad | Rachael Ray
How To Make a Sage Advice Cocktail | John Cusimano
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4- to1-pound red cabbage, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 6 juniper berries
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon each cumin seed and caraway seed
- 6 Honeycrisp or other sweet, crisp apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- A pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 shot apple brandy, such as Calvados
- 3 Russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 large or 2 medium parsnips, peeled and shredded
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Cooking oil, such as safflower
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 rounded tablespoons prepared horseradish (Rach uses Gold’s)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- Salt and pepper
- For the Schnitzel: 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, tenders removed, butterflied and pounded to 1/4-inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Salt and white pepper or fine black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons very thinly sliced sage leaves
- About 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Zest of 1 lemon plus wedges of lemon to serve
- Frying oil, such as safflower or canola
For the cabbage, place all ingredients in a medium pot, bring to a boil and cook 40-45 minutes, adding a little water if necessary, to very tender. Cover to keep warm.
For the applesauce, place all ingredients in a medium pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook to a very tender, chunky sauce, about 20-25 minutes.
Shred potatoes and place them in a fine mesh sieve. Sprinkle with salt and let them drain 20-30 minutes.
Squeeze out all excess liquid from the potatoes and combine them with the shredded parsnips. Season with pepper and mix in eggs, flour and parsley.
Combine ingredients for the Horseradish Sauce and chill until ready to serve.
Heat 1/8-inch oil in a large skillet. Working in batches, add flattened handfuls of the potato-parsnip mixture to the hot oil and cook to golden brown. Keep warm in 250°F oven on a wire rack set into a baking sheet.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Place flour in a shallow dish and season. Whisk eggs in a shallow dish with salt, pepper, mustard and milk. Toss breadcrumbs in a third shallow dish with sage, nutmeg, lemon zest and salt. Coat each chicken cutlet first in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.
In a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat, heat oil. Fry cutlets 2 at a time, keeping them warm on a wire rack-lined pan in 250°F preheated oven.
Serve cutlets with lemon wedges and applesauce, and Parsnip Cakes and Cabbage alongside.