- 2 cups loosely packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 rounded teaspoon sugar or a drizzle Acacia honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red chili flakes
- 1 28-ounce can whole, peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- A few leaves fresh basil, torn
Simmer sun-dried tomatoes in stock to reconstitute. Purée in a food processor.
Heat a saucepot or Dutch oven over medium heat with EVOO, 4 turns of the pan. Melt butter into oil, add onions, garlic, bay and salt, and cook to very soft and translucent—do not brown. Add sugar or honey, chili flakes, tomatoes and basil, and simmer 20-30 minutes to break down tomatoes.
Serve with Polenta Arancini and Meatballs with Mint and Garlic.