- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds small white- or yellow-skin potatoes
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (half a palmful) each cumin seeds, coriander seeds and caraway seeds
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- A handful of finely chopped parsley
- Minced chives
- Crème fraîche
- Smoked salmon
- Pickled onions or shallots (2 shallots or 1 small onion, thinly sliced pickled in 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea or kosher salt)
- Thinly sliced seedless cucumbers
- Sliced vine or plum tomatoes
- Smoky bacon, baked at 375°F on a slotted pan until crispy then chopped
- Caramelized onions
- Prepared horseradish or beet horseradish
Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
Place potatoes in a pot and add stock (and water if necessary to cover) and bring to boil. Reduce heat, keep at a rolling boil and cook to tender. Drain potatoes and dry them out. Crush with the bottom of a glass.
In a small pot, heat olive oil and butter with garlic. Arrange crushed potatoes on parchment-lined baking sheet and brush them liberally with garlic-oil-butter. Season with cumin, coriander and cumin seeds, salt, pepper, paprika. Bake 20 minutes or until crispy, top with parsley and chives, arrange on a platter or board and serve with toppings of choice.