- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 pound chunk slab bacon, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries (optional)
- 3 cups spicy red wine
- 2 cups ruby port
- An herb bundle of a few stems rosemary, parsley and thyme
- 4 pieces skin-on, boneless chicken thighs, halved
- 4 pieces skin-on, boneless chicken breasts, cut in thirds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 2 teaspoons ground poultry seasoning, such as Bell’s
- 1/4 cup combined thyme, rosemary and parsley, finely chopped
- Frying oil such as safflower or canola, 3-4 cups
- Thermometer for skillet frying or tabletop fryer
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dill, parsley and chives
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 pound extra wide egg noodles
- 1 cup grated Parm cheese
For the marinade, heat oil in a saucepot, add bacon and render 1-2 minutes. Add onions, garlic, bay, peppercorns, juniper berries if using, wine, port and the herb bundle, and bring to a boil. Remove pot from heat and quickly cool to room temp by setting the pot in an ice-water bath.
Double-bag 2 gallon-size baggies and fill with marinade and chicken pieces. Refrigerate 1-2 days.
Remove chicken from marinade and pat it dry. Strain the marinade and place it in a pot. Bring sauce to a boil and reduce it down to about 3/4 cup.
In a Dutch oven, heat oil to 350°F.
Set up a breading station with flour in one shallow dish, eggs in another and breadcrumbs and panko in a third. Season the flour with salt, pepper, granulated garlic and onion, and poultry seasoning. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Season breadcrumbs with salt and pepper and fresh herbs. Dredge chicken first in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture and then the breadcrumb mixture. Add carefully to hot oil and fry chicken to deep golden and crispy. Keep fried chicken crispy and warm in a low oven while you fry the rest.
For the noodles, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the noodles.
In a bowl, whisk together the sour cream, buttermilk, lemon juice, hot sauce, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper.
Cook egg noodles about 5 minutes, drain and add butter to hot pot to melt. Add noodles, toss to coat in butter, then add dressing and Parm cheese, and toss again. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Serve chicken with noodles alongside.