- 1/2 cup butter, (1 stick)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, fine sea
- 1 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 3 eggs, room temperature separated
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, dark
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Marshmallow fluff, for serving
- Crushed peppermints, or candy canes for serving
Place butter into a small pot over low heat. Once melted and hot, add in the cinnamon, cayenne and nutmeg. Stir to combine and remove from heat to cool.
While the butter cools, sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Once sifted, whisk to combine. Toss to coat in the dry mixture. Add the milk, egg yolks and cooled butter, and mix with a hand mixer on a medium speed until smooth. Set aside.
Using the same hand mixer, whip the egg whites to firm peaks. Add the whites to the chocolate batter and fold until fully incorporated. Add in the chocolate chips.
Heat a waffle iron to medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Fill your waffle iron with some of the batter and cook until waffles are hot and crisp.
Top with marshmallow fluff and crushed peppermints.