- 3 medium-large artichokes, stems and tips of leaves trimmed
- 1 lemon, halved
- About 1/2 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 12 anchovy fillets
- 8 to 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- About 4 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup each grated Pecorino and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup packed parsley and mint leaves, finely chopped
Fill a pot large enough to fit the artichokes with water. Rub the trimmed artichokes with lemon halves then squeeze lemons into the water. Add artichokes and bring to a boil.
Cook the artichokes until leaves are tender and you can just peel one away from base. Cold-shock the artichokes and drain upside down. Remove the center leaves and use a grapefruit spoon or a soup spoon to scrape out the choke from center.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat with EVOO. Melt butter into oil and add anchovies, breaking them up until they melt away. Add garlic and red and black pepper, stir a minute or so, then add breadcrumbs. Let them absorb the oil and butter then toast until deep golden and fragrant. Cool.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Combine cheese and parsley and mint and mix in cooled breadcrumbs.
Add 1/8-inch chicken stock or water to a casserole dish. Fill the artichokes with the breadcrumb mixture, stuffing between each leaf and filling the center. Place artichokes in the casserole dish and bake to heat through and until edges of leaves curl in and brown, about 20 minutes.