- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large or 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 1 rib celery with leafy top, very thinly sliced on bias
- 1 small carrot, cut in matchsticks or shredded
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot Sauce or other cayenne pepper sauce of choice
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 8 hand-cut slices good quality white bread
- Softened butter or mayo, for bread
- 4 thick or 8 thin slices deli-cut cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 thick or 8 thin slices deli-cut American cheese
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons white wine or white vinegar
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 cup Fabanaise or mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons super-fine sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup (4 to 6 ounces) finely crumbled blue or smoked blue cheese
- A few dashes of hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot sauce (optional)
- Carrot, celery and seedless cucumber sticks
- Fancy potato chips
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and when it foams, add shallots, celery, carrots and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook 3 minutes then add stock and stir 2-3 minutes more, reducing liquid to 1/4 cup. Add hot sauce and chicken, adjusting heat level to taste. Cook to heat through and until liquid is almost absorbed, 1-2 minutes more.
Heat a griddle or large, cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Butter or spread mayo on 1 side of all of the bread slices. With the greased sides facing out, build sandwiches: bread, cheddar cheese, chicken filling, blue cheese crumbles, American cheese and bread.
Grill sandwiches until deeply golden on each side and gooey.
For the optional Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing, combine ingredients in a Mason jar and shake, or combine in a mixing bowl.
Cut sandwiches corner to corner and serve with Chunky Blue Cheese Dip, vegetable sticks and/or chips alongside.