- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 store-bought pie crusts
- 6 cups thinly sliced and peeled apples (about 6 apples)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3-6 tablespoons milk
Preheat oven to 425˚F. In a bowl, whisk together the butter, granulated sugar and ground cinnamon until combined. On a lightly floured surface, unroll 1 pie crust. Spread butter mixture evenly over dough and tightly roll into a log. Transfer to freezer as you prepare recipe. Gently press the remaining pie crust into an ungreased 9-inch pie dish.
Make the apple filling: In a large bowl, mix apple slices, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Spoon into the crust-lined dish, leaving any excess juices in the mixing bowl.
Remove the prepared dough log out of the freezer and slice into ¼-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices on top of pie until the entire top is covered in slices. Fold edges over and bake for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender. Check pie halfway through and cover crust with foil if browning too quickly. Remove from oven and let cool 15-20 minutes.
Make the glaze: In a mixing bowl, whisk together butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons milk. Add more milk as needed to reach desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over pie before serving.