- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Flour, for surface
- 2 sheets puff pastry, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 slices bacon, chopped or more if desired
- 1 onion, small, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef, (80/20)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dill relish, sweet or
- 3 eggs, large divided
- 2 tomatoes, large thinly sliced
- 12 ounces American cheese slices
- Iceberg lettuce
Preheat oven to 400˚F. On a lightly floured surface, take 1 sheet puff pastry and, using a rolling pin, carefully roll out the dough so it is just large enough to fit into a 9-by-13 inch pan with ½-inch overhang. Transfer to the refrigerator.
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook butter, bacon and onion for 10-
Increase heat to medium-high, then add the ground beef and season with salt and
pepper. Cook for 10-15 minutes, breaking up the meat as it cooks, until beef is brown. Remove from heat.
Stir in mayonnaise, ketchup, and relish. Stir in 2 eggs. Evenly spread meat mixture onto prepared puff pastry sheet. Layer tomato slices followed by cheese over the beef.
Roll out remaining sheet puff pastry to 9-by-13-inches and arrange over pie. Fold edges of bottom sheet of dough over top sheet and pinch to seal. In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg and 2 tablespoons water to make an egg wash. Brush top of pie with egg wash and transfer to oven to bake for 25-30 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.