- 1 pound farro spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6 slices smoky, meaty bacon, diced
- 1 pound hen of the woods mushrooms, pulled into thin florets, or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bundle asparagus, trimmed of tough ends and thinly sliced on bias
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Heat a large pot of water to boil for pasta, salt water and cook pasta 1 minute shy of package directions. Reserve ½ cup salty boiling water just before draining.
While pasta cooks, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with EVOO, add bacon and render, then remove. Add mushrooms to drippings and brown, then add shallot, garlic and asparagus, season with salt, pepper and thyme, and sauté 3 minutes more. Add wine to pan and add bacon back to pan.
For frico eggs, heat 2 small skillets with ½ cup parm, add eggs when cheese melts and cover pans. Cook eggs to soft, medium or hard doneness and cool, then transfer to plate to hold. Repeat.
Toss pasta with bacon, mushrooms, asparagus and parsley, and adjust salt and pepper. Serve pasta in shallow bowls with frico eggs on top.