John uses a mandolin to make his ultra-thin slices of fennel. Any hand-held slicer will do the trick.
- 5 fennel, very-thin slices, plus 1 slice for garnish
- 4 basil, leaves fresh, plus 1 small sprig for garnish
- 1/4 cup gin
- 2 tablespoons elderflower liqueur, such as St. Germain
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 dashes fennel bitters, (optional)
- 1 fennel frond, for garnish
Muddle the fennel slices and basil at the bottom of a cocktail shaker. Add gin, St. Germain, lime juice, and, if using, fennel bitters; shake well with ice, and double-strain into an ice-filled rocks glass. Garnish with the basil sprig, fennel slice and fennel frond.