Celebrity chef and legendary restaurateur Charlie Palmer suggests pairing this creamy, briny sauce with either a New York Strip Steak, a Flat Iron Steak or a Skirt Steak.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorns, canned in brine (not dried)
- 2 teaspoons instant flour
- 2 cups game bird-fortified stock chicken stock, or
- Kosher salt
In a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter, add shallots, and cook, stirring, until tender, about 1 minute. Add peppercorns, then sprinkle in flour and whisk to incorporate. Slowly whisk in stock and simmer 3 to 5 minutes, whisking continuously. Season with salt.
*TIP: Charlie recommends using instant flour, but all-purpose flour will work, too -- you'll just need to whisk more vigorously to prevent lumps from forming.