Sarah, a member of our culinary team, made this refreshing snack for guests on our show — and since it was such a hit, Rach wanted her to share it with all of you!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 cups English peas, shelled (or one 1-pound bag frozen peas, thawed and patted dry)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 bunch fresh mint, plus torn leaves, for garnish
- 1 lemon
- 1 loaf crusty bread, sliced, toasted, and drizzled with EVOO
- ¼ pound mild deli-sliced ham
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add peas to hot skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook until peas are tender, about 8 minutes for fresh or 4 minutes for frozen. Remove from heat and let cool.
Add peas to a food processor. Add ricotta, mint, the zest of a lemon and about 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Pulse until combined. Season to taste; if mixture seems too thick, add a bit of EVOO.
Spread pea mixture onto toasted bread. Top with ham and torn mint leaves.