Sarah, a member of our culinary team recently made this refreshing snack for guests on our show -- and since it was such a hit, Rach wanted her to share it with all of you!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra-virgin (EVOO)
- 3 cups English peas, shelled or 1 (1 pound) bag frozen peas, thawed and patted dry
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 bunch mint, fresh, plus torn leaves , for garnish
- 1 lemon
- 1 loaf bread, crusty, sliced , toasted , and drizzled with EVOO
- 1/4 pound ham, mild deli-sliced
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add peas to hot skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook until peas are tender, about 8 minutes for fresh or 4 minutes for frozen. Remove from heat and let cool.
Add peas to a food processor. Add ricotta, mint, the zest of a lemon and about 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Pulse until combined. Season to taste; if mixture seems too thick, add a bit of EVOO.
Spread pea mixture onto toasted bread. Top with ham and torn mint leaves.