Rach recommends using a flavor of chutney called Major Grey's for this recipe. Legend has it that this condiment is named after a 19th-century British Army officer who lived in India and is typically a blend of mango, raisins, vinegar, lime juice and onion.
- 12 hard-boiled eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons grated onion or shallot (grated over the bowl to catch the juices)
- Salt and pepper
- ¼-1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or pasted
- ½ inch ginger root, grated or pasted
- 1 round tablespoon yellow or Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons Major Grey’s chutney (Rach likes the brand Patak’s)
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Minced red and/or green chili peppers and chopped scallions, to garnish
- Toast points (white toast cut corner to corner), to serve
- Bibb or Gem lettuce leaves, sliced plum or vine tomatoes, shaved/thinly sliced white onions, and bread and butter pickle slices, to serve
Halve eggs and add yolks to a bowl, then chop whites coarsely and reserve. Combine the yolks with grated onion, salt, pepper and Greek yogurt using a fork. Once base has been uniformly combined and yolks thoroughly broken up, add garlic, ginger, mustard, curry powder and chutney; taste and start adding hot sauce to adjust heat. Fold egg whites back into salad. Transfer salad to serving bowl and garnish with chili peppers and chopped scallions.
Serve egg salad with a platter or arranged on a serving board of toast points, lettuce, tomatoes, shaved white onions and pickles.