Rach's slow-simmered dipping sauce is the perfect accompaniment to any food that could use a little tasty dunking.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups passata or tomato puree
- 1 can (28 ounces) San Marzano tomatoes
- A small handful of basil leaves, torn
Heat a saucepot or small Dutch oven over medium heat with EVOO. Melt butter into oil, and add onions, garlic, and salt. Cook until very soft but not browned, 5-6 minutes, then add stock and bring to boil, add puree and tomatoes, break up tomatoes, stir in basil and simmer at low bubble, 20 to 30 minutes. For a smooth dipping sauce, use immersion blender to puree.