This melted cheese sauce is Rach's riff on the southern specialty, which gets its name from the finely chopped bits of pimiento peppers studded throughout the addictive spread.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 round tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon each dry mustard and hot paprika or chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) shredded yellow cheddar cheese or yellow Land O’ Lakes Easy Melt cheese
- 1 (4-ounce) jar chopped pimiento, drained well
In a skillet or saucepot, melt butter over medium heat and add garlic, stir, whisk in flour and dry spices, then Worcestershire, then milk, thicken and season with salt and pepper. Stir cheese into sauce to melt, add pimientos, and adjust seasoning.