- 3 large green tomatoes, cored, tops and bottoms trimmed, 4 slices per tomato (12 slices total)
- 1 cup AP flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup panko
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano cheese (a couple of handfuls)
- A handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons each dried oregano and thyme (half a palmful)
- 1 teaspoon each granulated garlic and onion
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel pollen or fennel seed
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Oil, for frying
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, cut lemon into wedges to serve with tomatoes
- Italian chopped pickled cherry peppers, hoagie spread, or sliced cherry peppers, finely chopped, for garnish
Arrange the sliced green tomatoes on kitchen towels or paper towels. Season with salt and let them drain 20 minutes.
Arrange breading station: flour, eggs and breadcrumbs combined with panko, cheese and remaining spices and sesame seeds. Season flour, eggs and breadcrumbs with salt and pepper. Dredge each tomato through the flour, egg and breadcrumb mixture. Heat ⅛-inch frying oil over medium-high heat, cook tomatoes 2-3 minutes on each side to deep golden brown and drain on wire rack.
Fan 3 fried green tomatoes on each plate and serve with lemon wedges and dot with finely chopped hot pickled cherry peppers.