Rachael's Italian Pepper Steak on Garlic Toast
The Great Jack O' Lantern Blaze Might Be the Coolest Halloween A…
How to Make White Pasta E Fagioli | Rachael Ray
How to Make Lobster Risotto with Saffron, Tomatoes and Zucchini …
A Breast Cancer Surgeon's Top 4 Lifestyle Tips for Better Breast…
This 25-Year-Old Started "Excuse My Grandma" Dating Podcast With…
Stacy London Swears by These Cooling Products During Menopause
How to Make Za'atar Chicken Shawarma + Turmeric Rice Pilaf | Rac…
How to Make Creamy Spinach Pasta | Rachael Ray
Ron + Clint Howard on New Memoir "The Boys": "This Is Really a L…
How to Make Homemade Cheese Ravioli Made With Fresh Egg Pasta Do…
According to Rachael, THIS Is How Long Opened Tomato Paste Lasts…
Rachael Shares Her Best Tips for Working with Fresh Thyme
How to Make a Negroni-Martini (Negronatini) | John Cusimano
Broadway Superstar Laura Benanti One-Ups Hugh Jackman's Most Emb…
Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Says His Music Industry Uncle's Biggest…
How to Make Shrimp Parm | Rachael Ray
How to Make Hoisin Fried Rice | Rachael Ray
This Video of Rach's Number One Feline Fan Watching Her Cook on …
Anthony Michael Hall Talks "Halloween Kills" Story: "It's classi…
Rachael demos an easy trick for slicing steaks up thin, then tosses together peppers, onions and seasonings for a delicious knife-and-fork meal over toast.
- 2 sirloin steaks, about 12-14 ounces each, 1-1¼ inches thick
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, 2 teaspoons coarse pepper, and 1 teaspoon granulated garlic, combined
- Olive oil, about 5 tablespoons
- 3 cubanelle peppers, halved and sliced, or other frying peppers, green and/or red
- 1 large onion or 2 medium onions, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup sherry, red vermouth, or white wine
- ¼ cup Italian hot pickled cherry pepper rings and about 2 tablespoons brine
- A small handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 (1 inch thick) slices good-quality Italian bread or white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- A small handful of parsley, finely chopped
- About ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
For the steaks, pat meat dry then place meat in freezer for about 10 minutes to firm it up. Very thinly slice meat on slight bias, cutting against the grain.
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high to high heat. Season the meat with some salt-pepper-garlic mixture and cook in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to brown and crispy at edges (do not crowd the pan). Remove meat to plate and cover. Add to skillet more oil, then add peppers and onions and season with more salt-pepper-garlic mixture. Cook to tender crisp, 5-6 minutes, add tomato paste, stir, add sherry or wine and toss to lift up drippings. Add brine and toss with beef.
For the toast, melt butter into oil with garlic. Toast bread in hot oven or under broiler to light golden, brush with garlic mixture and top with thyme, parsley and cheese. Finish browning, and cut corner to corner.
Arrange toast in shallow bowls or on platters and top with pepper steak and sauce, then garnish with parsley and cherry pepper rings.