The Doctors' Dr. Travis Stork cuts down on sugar in this easy granola recipe from his book, The Doctor's Diet Cookbook.
- 8 cups rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, pecans, peanuts, cashews or a combination
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup melted virgin coconut or other oil
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 300F.
Combine the oats, nuts, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Pour the oil mixture over the oat mixture and stir well to combine and coat evenly.
Spread the oat mixture over two large baking sheets in an even layer. Bake for about one hour, stirring every 15 minutes, until the granola is lightly browned and slightly crisp (it will become more crisp as it cools)
Turn off oven and let cool for about one hour in the pan, until completely cooled, then pour the granola into a container, cover and store in the pantry, where it will keep for up to two months.
Excerpt from "The Doctor's Diet Cookbook" by Dr. Travis Stork. Copyright © 2014 by Dr. Travis Stork. Used with permission by Ghost Mountain Books. All rights reserved.