The Kitchen Twins' easy homemade granola made from almond butter and banana is the base of these delicious "banana bread" parfaits.
For the granola, Emily and Lyla also recommend adding 1 tablespoon cocoa powder for a chocolate riff or trying a batch with melted coconut oil instead of canola if you want it to taste a little more tropical.
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- 1 overripe banana
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup almond butter, preferably unsalted and no added sugar
- ½ cup Almond Butter Banana Bread Granola
- ½ to ¾ cup yogurt, preferably plain
- ½ to ¾ cup fruit, such as raspberries, blackberries, sliced strawberries, or sliced bananas
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips, preferably 60% cacao
For the granola, preheat oven to 325˚F with rack in center.
In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients together. In a small bowl, mash the banana and stir in the remaining ingredients until smooth. Add the wet mixture to the dry, and stir until evenly combined.
Spread mixture evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake on center rack for 15 minutes, then stir and bake for 10 minutes more. Cool for 15 minutes. (Makes 4 cups granola; refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.)
For the parfait and using an 8- to 16-ounce jam jar, layer ingredients starting with the yogurt, then granola, chocolate chips, fruit, and a sprinkle of chia. Repeat layers until it fills the jar.