How To Make Basic Cast-Iron Brisket By Rachael
Rachael's Orecchiette With Bacon + More Q & Ray + J Questions An…
This Woman Lost Her House To a Fire On The Same Day Rachael Did …
How To Make Roasted Cauliflower Orecchiette | Atkins Diet Recipe…
We're Gearing Up For The Biggest Day In Football With Brandon Co…
Rach's Lemon Risotto + The Best Deals For Valentine's Day Gifts …
Bob Harper Joins Rach For Pasta Night + Makeover For Viewer Who …
Rob Lowe On Working With His Son on 9-1-1 Lone Star + Rach's Roa…
Rob Lowe On His "West Wing" Pride + What It's Like Working With …
How To Make Instant Pot Sausage & Shells | 20 Minute Meal | Pres…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne On His Covid Wedding: "We got married b…
Brisket braised in a cast iron pot of caramelized onions means big, meaty flavor with just a touch of sweetness.
Rach likes to use this to make her Brisket Ragu with Rigatoni.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium onions, chopped or quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme, or small bundle fresh
- Salt and pepper
- White pepper, about 1 teaspoon
- 2-3 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- One 4-pound well-trimmed brisket
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 2 cups beef bone broth or low-sodium beef stock
- 2 tablespoons demi-glace (optional) or a bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Cooked potatoes and vegetables of choice, for serving
For the caramelized onions, in a large cast-iron skillet or large cast-iron enamel Dutch oven over medium-low to medium heat, caramelize the onions; melt butter, add onions, season with bay, thyme, salt, pepper and white pepper, cook to golden and soft, 25 minutes, add sherry if using and remove to bowl.
Meanwhile, for the brisket, bring meat to room temperature. Season liberally.
Preheat oven to 325˚F.
Return pan to medium-high heat with oil, 2 turns of the pan. Brown meat 5 minutes on each side, then top with caramelized onions. Add the broth and melt in the demi-glace or bouillon and add Worcestershire. Cover pan with heavy foil or lid and bake 3 to 3 ½ hours until very tender. Slice and serve with potatoes and vegetables of choice.